Thursday, May 29, 2008

Allergies!?

So I'm not the greatest story teller but here goes:)
Growing up I was in a family with a few allergies but not many, and my little family has never been a family of allergies, however, I think we may have a first! While nursing I have stopped most dairy because Laurie was throwing up a lot and it seemed to help. Well I have been trying to feed her cereal to start her on solids and she just HATES it. I have been diluting it with water and thought maybe I should dilute it with formula or milk but yesterday I didn't want to go pump before feeding her so I decided to try some of the formula that I had here. I fed her a few bites, she decided she didn't like it. I picked her up, she threw up, then I put her back down, left for a few minutes and upon coming back found her with red blotches all over her face and hand, where ever the formula touched. So....I called the Dr and then rushed to the office thinking she was going to have to get some Benadryl. On the way there I kept telling the girls to watch her and tell me if she stopped breathing or anything. Miriam was really nervous and kept asking what would happen if she stopped breathing. "I always wanted her to grow up and not die!" So sad, she worries SOOO much about EVERYTHING! Poor girl. I reassured her that things would be fine.
When we got there, the nurse hadn't called back yet so I decided to wait, and went to the back seat to see Laurie and she was fine. The swollen redness has gone down and she was fine. So we proceeded with our day, however, it was really scary. The nurse called back and we decided that we shouldn't do anymore formula until her next appt and I talk with the Dr. So next week, we will see, but I think she is allergic to Dairy!! AHHHH, that is one thing that I think will be hard for me. Bread and dairy products are kind of a staple for me! Hopefully she will grow out of it! So it was a bit scary but turned out ok.

2 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

OH dear! That IS scary.

nAnnie Laurie said...

oh HOney - that is so scary! I'm glad that it turned out okay for now. Once she is weaned, it should be easier for you, and maybe you'll find out she isn't allergic. But if she is, you'll cope, I know. I was feeding Mandy Cheezit's once, and she threw up BIG all over the place, got hives like CRAZY (she was about 2) and I just knew she was a gonner! She lived and isn't allergic - it was just a freak thing - so hang in there! =)