Thursday, May 01, 2008

New things *for mom ;)

I love doing new things.
Last night with the ward we went to the cannery/bishops store house and for the first time I got to help can things! It was so much fun with all the sisters in the Relief Society and Sarah came too!:) It was cool to see how things were canned. We canned: Wheat, Hot cocoa, oats, flour, white beans, pinto beans, refried beans, apple slices, spaghetti, rice, sugar, potato flakes, carrots, and macaroni!!! Wow, it actually went fast and the Brother who was in charge said we did a great job. We did all that in a little over 2 hours!! There were a lot of us. I wanted to be in charge of the canning machine, or pouring or something but right at the beginning I volunteered to go get the cans and then help wheel the completed cans into the sorting room where the orders were being filled and I kind of got stuck there. One time I started filling cans and the guy in charge was like, the cart is ready to take back, you let them do this, that is their job! :( I was a little disappointed but then ok with it since everyone has a job and it was actually kind of fun because I got to see the complete process from canning to sorting and filling orders. Anyway I ended up buying 6 cans of rice (we use it all the time) 2 cans cocoa (really yummy) 1 can oats, 2 can dried apples, 1 can refried beans, and 1 can hard wheat (want to try it!) * Sarah bought some refried beans and potato flakes* Most of those last about 30 years unopened so that will be good. Since I know we like all those things. The only side to this that we have to remember is that we need our water storage! Without that...can't eat much!!! Well it was fun and I hope to get organized enough to go back again and do more so I can finish my food storage. Someday... ;)

4 comments:

nAnnie Laurie said...

super!! i love the whole process too - and at the end you get to buy what you canned! =)

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is so amazing. I would love to go but never have...scheduling...and plus I don't have money right now to buy anything so I just feel like it would be depressing. Thankfully we have other means of bulking up our food storage and I actually think it looks great!

aubreyannie said...

that's so funny because when we went to the cannery last time i got stuck putting the cans together to fill the orders even though i would much rather have filled the cans. i'm glad you had a nice time!

Alan, Marci, Maya and Madison said...

Hey! I was thinking of you when I put those pictures up. :) Let me know when you are going to be around, we must make something work this time! So fun, will your whole family come or just you?